There are always people looking for driving instructors to help teach them how to drive. Here is a step by step list of how to become a recognised and official driving instructor.
- Check if you can be an instructor: There are several things you need to check about eligibility to become an instructor. There are lots of responsibilities and you need to demonstrate that you can manage these.
- Apply to be an instructor: you need to ensure you get a full DBS (disclosure barring service) check prior to applying, even if you already have one for a different job
- Get a trainer: you need to learn how to teach others to drive, using a certified driving instructor trainer
- Take a theory test (ADI Part 1) you need to pass the rest of your test within 2 years of passing this theory test!
- Take the driving ability test (ADI part 2)
- Get practice teaching – once you have passed part 2 of the ADI test, you can apply for a 6 month trainee licence to get experience training students. This costs £140
- Take the instructional ability test (ADI part 3) This test shows your ability to instruct others
- Register and begin working as an instructor!